Whether you work in digital marketing, the healthcare industry, or retail, you might have heard of the use of artificial intelligence. However, AI has many different sub-branches that don’t necessarily work in the same way. When it comes to AI vs machine learning – there are plenty of similarities and differences to understand. Whether you want to boost online traffic on your website or upgrade the way you communicate with clients, keep reading. Here are the most important things you should know about how AI and ML work.
Understanding the basics of AI and machine learning
Regarding AI vs machine learning, these two seem like very different terms. Even though they have differences, they are also connected. Artificial intelligence, or AI, is computer software that is “trained” to understand human actions and react to them. In other words, AI was made to simplify many computer tasks, create analysis and constantly learn new behaviors. On the other hand, machine learning is one of the subcategories of artificial intelligence. Instead of mimicking human behavior, machine learning is programmed to work on specific models that are customized for different areas of work. For example, different industries use machine learning to program their machines for specific tasks.
Both AI and ML have their benefits, but they don’t work in the same way. Let’s take a closer look at the similarities, differences, and connections between these two.
Artificial intelligence – how does it work?
When thinking of the term artificial intelligence, we think of robotic thinking as a substitute for human behavior. When it comes to programming, this is exactly what AI is – computer software that uses the internet and “learns” human cognitive abilities and behavior. In order to complete different tasks (often complex ones), AI relies on data analysis, language, and algorithms. Modern AI software can translate languages and predict how a human would react to complete a computer task. In many industries and businesses, this way of programming saves time, eases communication, and brings faster solutions.
If we compare AI vs machine learning, we will see the differences in how they work. Unlike machine learning, artificial intelligence is used for tasks that are monitored and rely on human reasoning. When learning a new behavior, machines rely on a set of instructions that allow them to perform without changes, unless human programs it to do so. Artificial intelligence learns through human interaction and is used to improve performance efficiency.
What are the benefits of AI?
AI has many benefits and many subfields that are related to each other. Here are the most common fields for which artificial intelligence is the base:
- NLP – or natural language processing, is a branch of computer science that is related to linguistics, machine learning, and analyzing human communication.
- ML – or machine learning, uses specific algorithms that rely on sets of data. This branch of AI is made for specific tasks (often needed in different industries).
- Deep learning – is more related to machine learning, but is considered to be a type of artificial intelligence. Deep learning helps perform complex computer tasks that don’t require human interference.
- Robotic science, or – robotics, is also based on AI. It is a type of electrical engineering. It requires both mechanics and artificial intelligence to work together. Robotics are used for completing tasks in the real world, unlike machine learning which works only in computer programming.
So, how is machine learning different from AI? While artificial intelligence relies solely on learning human behavior, machine learning doesn’t. ML works by focusing on data sets that are previously determined. It can analyze graphs, images, and big data sets.
AI vs machine learning – everyday use
If we speak of examples, there are a few examples of machine learning in real life. Since this is the most common way people interact with AI, ML is common in the following areas:
- Health care –to simplify the filing of patient records, different medical tests, and other processes in the medical industry, both AI and ML are in use. Since healthcare professionals need to analyze big data and do it fast, these types of programming are necessary.
- Business – by implementing AI and machine learning, different businesses can now simplify their work. Fast analyses, efficient performance, and automation are just the benefits of artificial intelligence and machine learning. This is simply the best way to optimize workflow, simplify communication with clients and cut costs.
- Supply chains – when it comes to food and clothes industries, most of them rely on either artificial intelligence or machine learning. Since their work is getting more and more complex, these programs help them communicate with clients and suppliers better, manage e-commerce websites and avoid potential delays. To make sure the goods are distributed without any troubles, supply chain managers rely on AI technology to manage and track their shipments. In case any problem arises, modern technology allows them to automate certain tasks and save time.
Their use in digital marketing
With marketing tools and strategies evolving, more and more companies are relying on artificial intelligence these days. One of the most common uses of AI, there are chatbots. Their efficiency overcomes various problems in communications with clients. First, chatbot programs are designed to understand questions and answer them fast and efficiently. They can conduct auditory, but also – textual conversations with clients.
Besides chatbots, artificial intelligence is used for predicting the future success of blog post content or certain marketing campaigns. It can also be used to send messages to the right target group of customers at the right time. When comparing AI vs machine learning, the second one also has its purpose in digital marketing. Machine learning can help improve decision-making and analyze big amounts of data efficiently. In the world of marketing, it can help with generating insights and analyzing content and campaign results.
Which one should you use?
Understanding the differences between AI vs machine learning is not simple, since their use often intertwines. So, the most important thing to know is what you want to use either of them for. Depending on your field of work, there’s a chance that artificial intelligence could be beneficial in some way. Hopefully, this article brought you a bigger picture of how these programs work and what they’re used for.