Before we even start with our “how-to” article we should explain what is Skyscraper Technique is. Not everybody knows this and it’s important nowadays because backlinks are one of Google’s main ranking factors and there is nothing telling us this will change anytime soon. So, let’s start with some basics. And if you happen to have some additional questions, make sure to contact our team at Link Department.
What is a Skyscraper Technique
It is a link-building tactic. It was developed or devised by Brian Dean. The whole point of this is to create engaging content that will help you to earn quality editorial links. There are just three principles :
- the first one is about finding popular content that has been linked to other sites
- the second one is about creating a better article with basically the same topic and publishing it on your own website – we can call that improving someone else’s work
- the third is all about promoting to the target audience, you don’t want to promote your work to the audience that is not interested you need to find the right audience
The most important part of the Skyscraper Technique
It’s hard to invent something new right? Some even think it’s nearly impossible today, we have found everything there is to be found. You have online information about almost everything you can ever imagine. So, how about we stop finding new things and start improving the ones we have. Basically, this is the most important part of the Skyscraper Technique. Your goal is to create the best piece with an already familiar topic. Your job is to make it the best of the hundreds that might already be online. The only way to do that is to be creative. Of course, that’s easier said than done.
Can that be considered plagiarism?
This is a question many people will ask. No, this is not plagiarism. You might be having the same facts, but facts can not be changed. They are set in stone and no one can change them and it’s perfectly normal that they are repeating everywhere. You are simply improving something that’s already there. There is a big difference. Not everything you do has to be completely innovative. It’s important to improve the work we already know and have too.
Things to consider when using The Skyscraper Technique
There are few things to consider when using Skyscraper Technique. For example the length – if one article is longer that surely doesn’t make it better. It’s all about content. The approach is also very important because there are many ways to improve the content. Marketing is also very important. Well, marketing is important in all aspects of life nowadays but if no one knows about your post how can it get linked to another website and get you more organic views? Promotions are the key here. Of course, you need to make sure you don’t have any toxic backlinks too!
The “how-to” part
Finally, we are here to out how to use the Skyscraper Technique in order to build links. So, let’s look at the steps :
- You need to find the content that has earned a lot of links (finding linkable assets isn’t very hard).
- Find a list of popular sites in your line of work/industry.
- Find content that you could improve upon, and it needs to be informational in nature.
- Make sure that you understand the traffic that this article is driving and you need to know the keywords that this piece ranks for.
- Analyzing the Google SERPs is the next step – this can be done by simply searching for the main target keywords that you are trying to rank for.
- This is the hardest part – you need to create better content (pro tip – long-form content performs better).
- Make sure to focus on the details – that can be the key to attracting an audience.
- Your content also needs to stand out visually.
- Update all the facts – as much as possible (outdated pieces of information can hurt you).
- Promote, promote, promote!
- Find relevant outreach prospects – try Semrush but you will be needing other relevant outreach prospects.
- Try sending emails as a way of outreach.
Those are generally the steps you need to follow. But there is much more that goes into this technique but now you know the basics, we pointed you in the right direction so you can research it a bit more and learn on your own.
Does this technique work?
This is a common question asked and rightfully so. The Skyscraper Technique can work and usually, it works very well. But know this – it is not foolproof. There are some things that can go wrong. The other thing is you can spend days, weeks, or months making and improving one article and making it the best one out there but if you don’t promote it the way it should be promoted – it will flop. It’s the hard truth.
How can things go wrong?
You need to follow all the instructions. Not just parts. You see if the article is great but visually dull, no one will stop to read it. No one cares about just the work you put in, people need to be entertained too. Something needs to stand out. You have a lot of competition so attracting an audience is harder than it used to be.
Few words of wisdom
Now you know what the Skyscraper Technique is all about. You can start your research more thoroughly and you can educate yourself a bit more. That is the most important part really. The more you learn about it the better you will be at it and the better you are – Google will notice it, and that is all there is about it right? Nowadays it’s all about Google liking you or your website to be more exact.